Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Contention

I have tried hard to avoid the debates in this election. The reason is because usually we debate with people we care about and they (or we) take it personally. I just often wonder if it is truly worth it.

And yet.....I want to stand for what I believe in. That is our right as Americans, isn't it? Freedom of speech.....

When I do share my view I am accused of being intolerant and teaching intolerance to my children. I believe that is a card that is just played when certain things are deemed wrong. I can tolerate practically anyone and their beliefs but that doesn't mean I have to agree.

It would be wonderful if we could simply not become defensive and just respect the other person's viewpoint. But sometimes we simply are defensive which does not allow room for communication and understanding.

No comments: